The Coldwater Canadiana group, which would evolve into the Coldwater Canadiana Heritage Museum, was formed in 1965 as a not for profit corporation to preserve and to share our heritage with residents and visitors. In the early years, antiques and arts and crafts were sold at a shop in Coldwater and the proceeds supported restoration, research of Canadiana, and developing area crafts.
The Canadiana group supported or organized many events in order to bring organization to the attention of the General Public. The original steering committee and directors in 1964 were Rev. Douglas Jacques, Isabel Alonzo, Ruth Woodworth, W. Wylie, Reeve Earl Brandon, Eileen Peters and Morley Yon.
The Coldwater Canadiana Heritage Museum’s mandate is to promote, collect and retain the history of Coldwater and the surrounding area from 1830 to 1950.
Today, the Coldwater Canadiana Museum, is owned by CCHM and operated by members and volunteers. The museum supports itself through Devon Teas in July and August, a Gift Shop, membership, donations, fund raising, special events and assistance from the three levels of Government.